When I have to cook, I often prefer to make one-dish meals –ones with meat and veggies all in. This is one of my favorite recipes. Easy to prepare. You don’t have to exactly follow the recipe as far as ingredients go and you can throw in additional ones or take out others based on your own personal preferences. The only thing is that you have to stand there and keep stirring for as long as it takes the rice to become tender. That said, it was not that long. It took about 20 minutes or so tonight.
I normally make this with coriander –lots of it, –but I could not get fresh coriander today. It still tasted good, but the fragrance that coriander brings to the dish is something else. (If I can have my way, I would have coriander with everything!) I also decided to add in some zucchini for some greens. Would have preferred some celery, but like coriander, I was out. (Are you getting the picture now? I tend to cook with whatever’s on hand and is too lazy to shop to make the ‘perfect’ recipe.)
Dinner tonight – check.
School lunch for the kids tomorrow – check.
BEEF AND PUMPKIN RISOTTO
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
500 g minced beef
2 cups rice
1 cup white wine
1 liter chicken stock
750 g pumpkin, cut into cubes
1 zucchini, cut into cubes
250 g mushrooms, sliced
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup chopped coriander
- 1) Heat butter and oil in large heavy-based pan, add onion and garlic, stir-fry over medium heat for 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2) Add minced beef and stir-fry over high heat for 4 minutes or until well-browned and all liquid has evaporated. Use a fork to break up lumps in the minced beef as it cooks.
- 3) Add rice, stir-fry for 1 minute. Add wine, bring to boil, reduce heat to a simmer, stir continuously for 2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Add a quarter of the stock and stir continuously for 2 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- 4) Continue adding stock, a quarter at a time, stirring in the pumpkin, zucchini, and mushroom after half the stock has been added. Continue until all liquid has been added and rice is tender.
- 5) Remove from heat, stir in cheese and coriander; serve immediately.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
(Recipe from Tasty Mince Recipes, modified)