|· 2 cups flour (if using self-raising, then only add 1 tsp baking powder)||· ½ - ¾ cup sugar|
|· 2 tsp baking powder||· 1 tsp salt|
|· 1 egg||· ¾ cup buttermilk (or plain yogurt)|
|· 1/3 cup vegetable oil (or melted butter)||· 1 cup additional optional ingredients (raspberries, mashed banana, coconut, etc.)|
- Preheat oven to 400oF/ 200oC.
- Stir together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and the optional ingredients and stir just until moistened. Do not over-mix. You want all ingredients just combined.
- Place a good-sized dollop of the mixture into muffin cases.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Raspberry + coconut
- Cheese (Parmesan or mature cheddar)
- Carrot + spice (grate carrot very finely; ginger and cinnamon work well, but only use a tsp of each)
- Blue cheese + shredded spinach or broccoli
- Chocolate (break a large dark chocolate bar, rather than use choc chips, and add a tsp of vanilla essence)
- Cranberry + pine nuts